The Society of Maritime Industries (SMI) promotes the interests of UK based companies in the international market place and to governments. Our membership is inclusive of the whole supply chain from shipyards and major system providers to the manufactures of the smallest components, as well as companies involved in design, in service support and maritime autonomy.
In joining SMI companies can select which of our specialist sectors reflect their business interests and there is no restriction on how many are chosen. Watch the video below to hear what SMI can do for your organisation or continue scrolling down to view a comprehensive list.
We offer a wide range of services, some of which include:
- Advice and assistance on making contacts in your chosen markets
- Assistance in China through our Manager based in Shanghai
- Free listing in our online Member Directory and Product Directory
- Free entry in our Members’ Handbook and Directory which is circulated to key clients worldwide
- Free use of our attractive Boardroom in the City of London
- Email alerts on the latest industry news and events
- Access to the online Member Zone; an exclusive area containing market reports and intelligence and member only business opportunities
- Networking with other companies engaged in the industry through our events programme
- Participation in sector focussed trade missions, both inward and abroad, to assist with the development of new market sectors
- Eligibility for election to the consultative councils of SMI’s market sectors
- Access to Government support for international exhibitions, trade missions and seminars as an accredited trade sponsor
- Discounted rates for space and training sessions at Ocean Business, our trade show partner
- Discounted member rates for most of our seminars and participation in the UK group at international exhibitions
- Representation of member issues across Government through regular briefings with ministers and officials
- Ability to influence new regulations and proposed standards in the UK, Europe and the IMO
- Access to the working groups of, Innovate UK calls
- Engagement in the UK, with Innovate UK, through the Marine Industries Leadership Council which is chaired by SMI’s Chief Executive
Subscriptions are based on a company’s turnover earned in our specialist sectors. The subscription year runs from 1 October and normally a pro-rata amount would be charged from the time of membership application to 30 September.
Please complete the Join Us Enquiry form or email for more information on how to join the Society of Maritime Industries (SMI).